Tom M and Chrysler Corp.

        Tom,

        Actually I believe that Chrysler bought AMC, circa 1986?  There
     were no Jeep CJs produced for a year, as AMC decided that dwindling
     sales meant decreased interest.  Probably had alot to do with the
     associated reference to Renault too.  An extensive letter writing
     campaign in conjunction with phone calls and protests led to the
     eventual re-production of the Jeep name through Chrysler with the
     Wrangler.  Now it seems that with the FWOTY and a jillion other Jeep
     accolades, they have a firm hold on their section of the lighter SUV
     market.  I'm not sure about how the Durango and Cherokee compete, but
     I imagine there are some pretty fierce boardroom debates at Chrysler
     Corporate about these two.  Die-hards want Jeep, newbies like the
     mid-size Durango?

        Personally I'm waiting for either a Dodge Model Suburban (they are
     fullsize and being marketed in Mexico.  I wonder what the EPA
     restrictions are?) OR the Jeep Dakar.  The 4-door Wrangler/TJ ride
     featured as a concept in a couple years ago magazines shows.

        Any one else know for sure?

        Joel