Re: Final question on T-18 vs T-19

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 SLarsonIH@domain.elided wrote:

> Hey, Mandera, you probably drive a lot like me. What about the T-18 vs T-19
> question? Tom, did I ever tell you about the time I blew off a Dodge Dakota,

<GRIN>  I've been nicer lately.. my trans mount is all but gone.. but
there's a new one on my table about to go in.. ;-)

I think I mentioned that, when things are working right and I'm in a
"good" (happy/excited) mood, 2nd gear is hardly touched.. I'll either
nail 1st and hit 3rd immediately (I have the close 4spd), or I nail 1st,
and then just touch 2nd momentarily.. shift in, punch, shift out and then
I'm in 3rd tearin' it up. ;-)

> racing from a stoplight and proceeded to snap my rear driveshaft about 500

Last Saturday in Great Falls I pulled in to a service station to look at
a '73 1/2T IH flatbed.. when I pulled out, I was near a stop light, and
there was traffic coming.. I pulled out, floored it, just as some lady
thought she would make a lazy turn across traffic (left turn).. I figured
she'd do something stupid like that so I laid on the 'binders and waited
for her to go.. then stood on it. :-)

> feet later down the road? It's no fun driving home using just the front drive.
> The pull left and right when accelerating and decelerating is scary. Sound
> familiar?

Steve - you think it's bad with an open front?  Try it LOCKED.  I never
left 2nd gear.. I couldn't take my other hand off the wheel to shift..
Rev first, let off.. SHAKE and SHIMMY pull 2nd, hit the gas SHAKE AND
SHIMMY the other way.. Scarey.. drove about 10 blocks and came home.  ;-)

> Hey, has anyone out there put a turbo on a 345? I'm tired of getting blown off
> on the freeway.

Not a turbo.. but my friend is a Paxton dealer... and some day I'll have
more money than bills... Think of it.. 4,000rpm redline means some
serious boost at idle...

:-)

-Tom