front axle U-joints

OK.. got the right allen wrench to take the auto hubs apart on my spare
'44 front.. got that all apart.. of course, *IT* had a stubborn spindle,
too.. so this time I RTFM'd.. ahhh.. "tap gently with rawhide hammer to
loosen"... OK.  This is 20+yrs after IH wrote that book, and the spindles
looked a heck of a lot nicer than mine.. so.. I grabbed my rawhide hammer
and gave it some good *solid* whacks.. and finally got the '44's spindle
off.. Hey, I'll do the Dana 30 then!  MUCH more beating, and the '72 Dana
30 gave up it's spindle and then axle shaft.

Get 'em into the garage.. no film to compare the 'shafts on (get some
tomorrow).. but it's obvious the Dana 30 inner axle shaft is much smaller
than the '44s.

However, I had planned on using the Dana 30 outer stub shaft on the '44
axle shaft... but.. someone confirm for me.

Two U-joints on Dana 44s.. "big joints" and "little joints".. looks to me
like my '44s use the big joint, and the '30 uses a small joint.. NO SWAPPING.

Argh.  BTW, Dana 44 fronts came in 1/4" and 1/2" thick tube walls.. I
assume the Scout used the 1/2" thickness walls?  Like the GM 3/4T '44 I'm
bringing home from Seattle next month for my racer..

I'm going to go change the U-joint out on the '44 axle shaft.. I'm sure
*it* needs replaced anyhow (the broken U-joint I took out of the '77 was
DRY).. the repaired axle shaft goes back in tomorrow.. so 3wd for another
day. ;-)

NAPA is pricing a stub shaft for me.. as well as a complete long axle
shaft assembly for the Scout II, and a short-side axle shaft assembly for
a GM '44... for the racer.

-Tom
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout