Re: Axle to tire guidelines?

RIK D DESJARDIN wrote:

> Are ther general guidlines of how big a tires a dana 44 or dana 60 should
> be able to handle with a strong V-8 engine?  I'm wondering about the
> front end mostly, because of the stress big tires and lockers can put on
> axles while turning and spinning.

On the rear, the rule I've heard is "33s on a '44" and that if you go
bigger *and* you abuse it, it'll break and you're looking at custom
35-spline '60s.  Now, you can break a '44 by abusing it with 31s, too...
it just seems that "conventional wisdom" says that most of us are fine
with 33s and a Dana 44 rear.

As to the front.. I have a friend that has a '74 Early Bronoc w/ a Dana
44 front.  351W,NP425,BroncoD20,4.09s, and 33x9" Buckshots.. he's broken
a number of front axle shafts.  Usually the U-joints blow.  He runs a
Detroit in the rear, and had a PowerLok, now an ARB up front.   I've
seen him break more in the snow though... when he finds traction. ;-)

Another friend recently steppd up to a Dana 60 front.. after he got
tired of breaking U-joints.. with 4.88s, 36s, 400/T18/NP205 in a 3/4Ton
Ford.  Locked on both ends.

Another friend blew a front U-joint on his front '44 in his '80s
Bronco.. ARB and 33s I believe.

Yet another friend runs a '79 Big Bronco.. 460/C6/NP205/4.56s.. with a
'44 front and 36"x9" tires.  He's broken a few axle shafts (ARB front,
Detroit rear) *and* U-joints up front.  He also said that if I want to
run 36s on a Dana 44 I'll be changing ball-joints regularly.. too much
leverage and stress.

I blew my first U-joint this weekend.. with 33s.. but I was stupidly
driving on pavement in 4-lo and trying to turn.. with a lock'd front
axle.  SNAP.  I oblonged the stub shaft in the process.

Tearing it apart last night, I did notice the U-joint rollers were
awfully dry.  I may just change the U-joint on the passenger side
tonight for good measure.. I'm sure it's dry, too, after 20+ years.

-Tom