Re: spring over axel steering

Christopher Eveland wrote:

>         So I had another thought on how to fix my problem.  I was taking a look
> at a "big" (as in full-size pickup) truck that is in my club, and I
> noticed that on its steering gear the drag link goes from the pitman arm
> to an arm attached to the king-pin on the axel.  This means that its
> mounting point is quite a bit higher than it would be if it attached to
> the drag link (like 4"-5" on a Dana-27)

Darrel Kline could clue you in on this... it's how his Spring over Scout
II is setup.  It's NOT safe to modify what you have tho'.

Darrel swapped off his Scout II Dana 44 knuckles for a pair of GM Dana
44 knuckles with a flat-top. (or did he use IH pickup/T'all knuckles?
Same thing anyhow) which has the provision for bolting on the "lift
block" you noticed, and then running a parallel drag link.

Darrel's indication was that simply "building up" my stock knuckle in a
similar fashion was NOT a good idea...even for my racer.  This is a
steering component... vitally important to your life (and those around
you)...

You have 9" of lift and a Dana 27 front axle??!!  What size tires do you
plan on running?  I'm having a hard time imagining a Dana 27 holding up
to 35" tire abuse... when I've seen Dana 44s succumb to 33s..

Maybe it's time for a Scout II Dana 44 front with the GM knuckles and
"lift block" for the drag link?

-Tom