latest Scout mods, and pondering midwest modifications

Scot Clayton [mailto:scotclayton@domain.elided] wrote:
> Ken,
> What's the latest with your vehicles? Any new stuff?

Had Jim Maulis twist the front axle and put in a custom 1-ton front
driveshaft with cv-joints.  Steering is fine now.

Replaced my starter (again), that fixed the hot start problem.  Then Jim
Maulis hooked me up with a Delco solenoid made for high temperature
applications.  Decided to go that route rather than the remote solenoid for
now.

Replaced the KYB shocks with RS/9000s.  The result is a *much* better ride.
Also installed some of the Ismails recessed u-bolt plates.

An MSD 6A is going in this week along with a clutch fan.

To do list:
 - finish interior coatings & insulation
 - install new seats & seatbelts
 - install tuffy console
 - dual batteries
 - softtop
 - bumpers & rocker panel guard
 - ARB for rear diff

I'm starting to like the idea of a winch mounted with multiple receivers,
like you've got Scot.  That's what I'm currently thinking about.

Also, looks like about a 80% chance I'll be moving back to michigan in the
next six months.  I need to think about IH modifications for the midwest
(mud, water & salt, with a lot of trees but few rocks between).  I'm
thinking lightweight front bumper, glad I went with 32"x11.5" MTs, and
whether or not it is feasible to provide sufficient coatings to rust-proof
the vehicles.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II