Only buy vehicles from anal owners (was RE: Scout Trip)

David Nuenke ranted:

>   For some unimaginable reason the owner did not
>   seem to consider a non existant inner rocker pannel as "rust
>   through" even though you could see all the way to the ground.

Sorry to hear that David.  I went through the same thing looking for a good
beatle in Michigan in the 80s, and looking for a scout here in CO a couple
of years ago.  I once drove a couple hours after work across town to find a
beatle that was in *excellent* condition - only to find weeds growing
through massive rust holes in the floorpan!  A lot of folks lie, but many
folks simply can't see the flaws!

When I bought my Scout from New Mexico I talked to the owner about a dozen
times, had him videotape it with close-ups of the wheel wells and
underneath.  By doing that he found rust he wasn't even aware of - on the
floor under the tailgate.  Sadly, I failed to ask him to video the center
body mount, and rust in the floor was really hard to see even looking from
below.  I asked him if the steering was as good as a brand-new Scout or
Jeep.  Etc.  I asked him questions about every single system (cooling,
electrical, brakes, etc, etc).  I think the odds of pulling this off improve
with cost of the vehicle, and anal tendencies of the owner.
Maybe I was lucky this time, but this worked out well.

Speaking of which, I'd buy John Landry's, as soon as he finishes the body
work!

Good luck,

Ken Farmer