Re: DANA 27 rebuild info

>My questions:
>1.  Do the axle shafts need to be pulled to get the carrier out?
>2.  Are adjustments to shims/spacers going to be necessary when swapping
the
>spider gears?
>3.  I have a PowrLok rear diff. Is there anything weird I sould be aware
of?

1. Yes.  They go into some of the gears you will be replacing.
2.  Not if you don't disturb the pinion (the one the driveshaft turns) or
the carrier
bearings.  Be careful to not damage them when pulling the carrier out, they
will be
at the ends and if you drop it...well, you'll need a new bearing.
3.  If you get a powerlok rebuild kit, there are shims in there, but it is
more a
matter of replacing worn parts with new parts, not making tight tolerance
measurements.  At least I think so anyway, I have not taken a powerlok
apart
yet, only read the manual.

I did the "spider" gears (there are various names for them) in my front D44
(open)
and it was nothing.  I also re-shimmed all the pinion and carrier bearings,
and that
was some work.  Ring and Pinion service, or West Coast Differential should
have
the parts in stock, they both advertise regularly in the back of four
wheeler.  The
D44 set of spider and side gears (total of 4) was something like $40 at
Ring and
Pinion.

Good Luck
Allan Weidenheimer