don't laugh

ok, guys, don't laugh at this, but I need to know about an engine swap.
I pulled one of my heads, the cylinders are full of water.  the local "u
pull it" junkyard has several ih engines for good price ($120), but most
are 196's.  and the cost of swaping one of those in vs. rebuilding mine
is a lot less.  is this do-able?  is it a direct swap?  just get
everything from the bell housing foward?

I see that the 196 gets -/+ 18 MPG, i'm going back to school in the fall,
so that'll be helpful, but how does it perform on the trail?  with a mild
(lets say 33" tires) lift?  anybody tried this before?  I know usually
people replece small engines w/ big ones, not the other way around.

oh, and after the swap I may have an 345 or part of a 345 for sale,
depending on if I use any parts on the "new" engine, so if anyone's
interested, drop me a note

the 196 is half of a 345, right?

thanks lads

joe

Joe Dufresne email (normal) Josad@domain.elided email (with attachments)
josad@domain.elided, ICQ #25751950, homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/index.html, Scout Page
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/scout.html PGP public key
avadiable upon request

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]