Travelall Axle under a Scout II

I did it!  *Finally*

Came home from work and hurriedly got to it.. but I still had the '77
sitting with the lights on while I worked.. and wouldn't ya know it, it
decided to SNOW *today*...

But in any manner.. I got the T'all Dana 44 rear end into the racer.
Srings over.  "stock" spring mounts & perches.

It is *TALL* :-)

However, stock (235/75R15) tires do NOT stick out of the rear wheel
wells...  as Darrel suggested, I was able to bolt the axle in without
moving the spring perches, even though they are about 2" farther apart
than on a Scout '44.

I had to flip the centering pins (and the heads on these pins are smaller
than stock.. gonna have to change 'em out soon.. but this is just so I
can tow the racer 'round front)

I'll take pictures tomorrow morning in the daylight before I leave for work.

I just finished cutting the front of the frame off of the old racer
frame.. the bumper area.  It's sitting in the driveway, awaiting
fabrication of the "hitch/tow-bar bumper"..

I have two pieces of 3x2x1/4" angle.  Put the top piece 3" front/back and
2" up/down and the bottom goes 3" up/down and 2" front/back and it makes
up the front frame rail (crossmember) nicely.  I'll drill for the two
stock bumper bolts.. weld the seam.. then cut some 2x2x1/4 angle and
space it appropriately, weld, then drill for the tow-bar mount.. and in
the very center of this new "bumper" I'm putting 12" of 3" channel.  Once
I weld that on, I'll drill it and attach the "hitch head" I bought.  I
won't be able to turn very sharply, but it'll do the truck.. then bolt
that to the front of the new racer, hitch it up to the back of the '77,
and tow it like a trailer 'round front... then the real fun begins!
Wooo-hoo!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'78 Scout II - spring over with Travelall FS Dana 44