Re: Tow Question

That 5000# is probably only for when an equalizer hitch is used.  IH
limited the Scout to about 3000#/300# tongue load without an equalizer
and I'd say the same would apply to the Ranger, although the 99 Ranger
sales brochure doesn't show a limitation, only the max. weights allowed.

Probably the biggest limitation would be the lack of brakes on your
trailer unless it's got surge brakes.  You could haul 5000# down the
road, but could you stop it?  Without brakes, 3000# is probably more than
I'd feel real comfortable with on the highway.   And I concur 100% with
the comments about the tongue load.  I'd take a scales along to check
that you get enough on the tongue.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:17:48 -0800 "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
writes:
>Mark:
>
>That Ranger is rated to tow 5,000 lbs with a maximum of 500 on the
>bumper
>hitch (tongue weight) or 10%. You should have little or no problem if
>your
>just towing a trailer and Scout II body. Just try to get the body
>positioned on the trailer so about 10% of the total weight is forward
>as
>"tongue weight". If the trailer wobble too much, move the body
>forward. If
>the trailer is "pushing" the tow truck too much, move the body back.
>
>The other thing you'll want to do is make sure you have a hitch that
>makes
>the trailer ride level or near level. If the trailer is riding "tongue
>down" or "tongue up" it can adversely affect handling when loaded.
>
>I might be the person you refer to as having a near death trailering
>experience. I towed a 4 horse trailer with 2 horses (less than 5,000
>lbs by
>the way) with my Terra and had a rear tire blow and almost kill me. On
>top
>of that, the trailer "took control" of the Scout more than once and
>forced
>me all over the road on the way from WA to ID. This was easily fixed
>on the
>way back by moving the heavier horse up front, putting more weight on
>the
>tongue. It towed beautifully like that.
>
>Tom H.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]