RE: Drive shaft woes II

Friends,

    I found a rare photo of Steve & Mark Stegmann taken in the summer of  '98
when the family & I met Steve, and Mark while passing thru st Louis.  Mark is
modeling his Scout shirt in the pic, I hope that he had a different one on
when he was under the Scout playing in the gear oil!

   There are also some pic's of our '67 Travelette, and a '80 Traveler I got
for parts.

  http://members.aol.com/amziami/trip98.html

  Eldon & Rose McFarling
  Ceresco, NE
  IH Iron Farm
  THE SCOUT DIESEL PAGE
  http://members.aol/EldonMcf/scoutd.html

>  All's well that ends. I always say.  What  a night.
>
>  Mark (my son) and I decided to change the oil in the transmission and the
>  t'case.  We had the drive shafts out, crossmember out.  Seemed like a good
>  idea.
>
>  OK so I get my oil drain pan.  The 15 qt one with the whole top that is a
>  funnel.  I carefully take the plug out of the bottom of the funnel BTDT,
>  open the air vent BTDT.  Then I make sure the drain plug is loose, and
>  remove the fill plug.  Then I hold the pan up near the transmission so it
>  won't splash after falling two feet, and take out the drain plug with my
>  fingers.
>
>  Well.. the 80 wt or whatever was in there ain't going through the funnel.
>  It's just backing up.  I tipped the pan just a bit by accident and that's
>  when I noticed the tidal wave of black goo coming at me over the top of the
>  pan.  YEEE!  HAAA!  Get some paper towels Mark.  They're behind you Dad
says
>  Mark.  We both scream for a while and I stick my fingers (big hole) in the
>  drain hole, some of it finally goes through the funnel and the rest is on
>  the ground, me Mark, the concrete floor.
>
>  I didn't know this thing holds four 4 quarts of oil.  And it drains in
about
>  2 seconds.  I'm going to sleeve down the drain hole for next time.
>
>  So the next 15 min is spent cleaning up the mess.  If I were the trash man
>  this morning, I'd be carefull to stay upwind of the trash can.
>
>  Then Mark says to use the other oil pan, you know looks like a wash pan.
So