Re: 727 rebuilds for life!

>      took care of that.  The tranny I had rebuilt for it was 3/31/98,
>      because the shop that does them stamps the date in the case.

Why hasn't a tranny shop said anything to any of us like.. "Hey, should
we do.. blah blah to this vent hole for ya?"

>      I want to install a breather on the front vent.  How much clearance is
>      there behind the torque convertor?  I was thinking about drilling a

THAT, my friend, is the question of the month... can a suitably small
elbow be put in there?

>      hole even with the front face of the tranny through the bellhousing
>      and running a breather out the top.  When my Uncle drops the tranny

I was looking this weekend.. not sure I *really* want to drill through
the bellhousing there.. looks like some work to get it "just right"..
Dan Nees suggested capping the stock breather and drilling a new one in
another location... preferably outside of the bellhousing area
alltogether to make it easy to run the breather..

>      off at Banks Transmission (home of the $265 rebuilds, that I get at
>      shop cost), he's gonna request the ultra heavy monster tow the house
>      and three cars, pull everything and your mother of all heavy duty
>      tranny parts.  I'm sick and tired of pulling trannies!  This is three
>      already in less than a year!

If you're going for the "Never break again" tranny rebuild... how about
the aftermarket lower gearsets from JVX and the like?  More bottom grunt
for that off-pavement Travelall... more money, too, of course.. ;-)

>         So he's gonna check with the tranny shop about a remote breather,

Let us know what the tranny shop recommends... I want one too!

>      otherwise, I'm going to jb weld a small brass pipe in the breather
>      hole and up through a drilled hole in the top of the bellhousing.

How about tapping the breather hole to 1/4" NPT (or appropriate size)
and *threading* a fitting into it?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II - frame off still on hold.. ;-)
'77 Scout II - V8, lift, locker, LS, 33s.. 1" body lift, front 'cage
planned...
'78 Scout II - T'all axle and springs are bolted together and waiting to
go under it.. then drag it around front...
'?? Scout II Traveler - another parts rig comin' home soon....
'77 Scout II - dismantled.  Frame has been cut in half thanks to a $15
circular saw and $1 metal cutting disc..

Say... anyone looked at my "home" page lately?  Last week you would've
seen a picture of my blue racer sitting in the driveway.. with a
motor/trans/cage/firewall/"bed"... today, that *same* view... only shows
a frame lying in the dirt.. of course, I cut that same frame in half
last weekend, so the pic is outdated still... I just thought it was
funny going from "all there" to "bare frame" :-)