Re: A Red Scout Called My Name (maybe, or maybe NOT!)

"Peter F. Ferris" wrote:
> What can anyone tell me about this beast.  What "model" is it?

I assume it had a full top on it?  Did it have a tailgate/liftgate
combination, or one BIG hatch-back?  The "hatch-back" would also be 18"
longer than a "TravelTop" Scout II.  hatchback + 118" WB = Traveler,
while lift/tailgate + 100" WB = Scout II TravelTop.  If it had a pickup
top, it would've been a Terra pickup on a 118" WB chassis.

> What would a reasonable sale price (range) be?

?? Who knows!  More details!

Which motor?  304/345/196?  3spd or 4spd?  close/wide 4spd?  Does it
run?  Check the front body mounts for rust.. put your head in the front
wheel well and look to the rear of the Scout.. there's a triangle off
the frame and another triangle off the body that meets with this
frame-side bracket.. that's the front body mount.. look for rust-through
above the triangles.. on the body tub.. usually it's on the "angled"
face (not the flat floor) and it rusts clean through and road spray
comes in the cab.. my '72 sports mud streaks up the inside of the dash
and windshield from crashing mud holes a few years back on 4th of July..

> What is desired or to be avoided in these models (ie; what hubs are "good" or
> "bad" and how can I tell by looking?, ditto tranny, etc.).

Does it have a 2spd transfer case?  (two shifters on the floor)  The
single speed (pull knob to the right of the column) is a chain driven
case.. could be argued it's weaker, and it lacks a low range.. IMO, a
"less than desireable" feature.

The Dualmatic (big black "cap" that turns 1/4 turn) is less than
desireable.. while the Warn lock-outs and AUTOMATIC/LOCK-O-MATICs are
fine.

> All responses appreciated!

More details, Peter!  We'll help!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 '77 '78 Scout IIs... and a fourth that's just parts..