Re: Engine I.D. Dilemma

The source of the putrid rotting smell of his infected gums became
immediately apparent when Kevin J De Vries <special.k1@domain.elided> opened his
mouth and said:

>The serial number on the head is  216 368/R1

A 304 head for a contour top piston.

>and the # on the block is  217 144/R2

It's a 304 alright.

>The big problem is
>that I gave him a intake manifold off a '77 345 and he claims it doesn't
>match up, it's too big for the block.

That's because a 345 intake doesn't fit the smaller 304 block.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  "The road to  tyranny, we must never
Life Member of the NRA          |   forget, begins with the destruction
WA Arms Collectors              |   of the truth."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |                     William J. Clinton
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |    10-15-95, speech at the Univ. of CT