Engine I.D. Dilemma

Help...

     My friend recently acquired an V-8 engine from a big I.H. truck(his
words not mine).  He doesn't know if it's a 345(A) or a 392 and I haven't
had time to drive over to where he lives(about 1 hour away) and look at
this mystery engine myself.  The serial number on the head is  216 368/R1
and the # on the block is  217 144/R2  I can't match up the head or the
block numbers completely in my Scout II parts book.  The big problem is
that I gave him a intake manifold off a '77 345 and he claims it doesn't
match up, it's too big for the block...  I thought all 345's had
interchangeable intake manifolds???  Am I wrong or what?  I would really
appreciate it if some of you I.H. Guru's out there would check your I.H.
parts manuals and help me find out what we have here.  Thanks in advance.

	Kevin J. DeVries

(Sig. file is temporarily out of service)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]