Re: SSS and soft tops, etc.

here's my thing.

I always buy my gas at "maverick" stores.  it's slightly cheaper, but my
reasons are because I know the owner, and his family, in the star valley
area they are the local "keneddys", they are very well-to do.  but great
people, I went to school with their kids, and if you needed help, they
would always be there first.  I'm very proud to call the Call's my
freinds

but when I buy gas, sure it takes a few more minutes, but every time, the
clerk says "thanks for shopping here, MR. Dufresne" or the like.  I'm
treated as a customer, not just a money holder, and I like that kind of
service

Joe Dufresne email (normal) Josad@domain.elided email (with attachments)
josad@domain.elided, ICQ #25751950, homepage
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6536/index.html, PGP public key
avadiable upon request

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:32:06 -0500 "Chris and Ranae Procyk"
<procyk19@domain.elided> writes:
>Let me make a few observations re. the SSS thread.
>
>Somebody gave a pretty good profile of list members earlier.  I'd like
>add two more traits, which are of IH owners in general:
>
>1) We tend to be very self-reliant, but I think one bad aspect of that
>trait
>is that it tends to make a person very suspicious of people who offer
>help
>@cost.
>2) Maybe cheap sh*ts is too strong a characterization, but we are
>pretty
>careful with our money.
>
>Those two characteristics have shown up in a lot of vendor-related
>posts,
>like the GUS posts particularly.
>
>A few observations:
>
>1) I've dealt with Quadratec for some Jeep parts- they sold me a top,
>coincidentally enough, a really crummy bumper (not their fault), and
>goofed
>up an order.  But I think they're generally OK.  HOWEVER- you're not
>going
>to be able to buy as much as a brake pad for your IH from them EVER,
>let
>alone be able to call them up and BS about some problems.  So you
>bought a
>top, but made no investment in future Scout support.  Dead end
>strategy, I
>think.
>
>2) Kayline has apparently blown us off on the Terra top, didn't
>anybody
>notice?
>
>3) SSS especially has always sold regularly available parts for as
>cheaply
>as the big warehouse operations.. for instance, a set of Rancho shock
>absorbers.  This amazes me because, my experience has been that the
>big guys
>get one out of 4 IH things just plain wrong.  Sure, you can send it
>back.
>Mine time is worth a fair amount of money, though.  But when you order
>from
>a Light Line dealer you're on the phone with a guy who has a complete
>mental
>image of what you're doing and what you need.  Yet you get that
>service for
>NO charge.
>
>4) And they are motivated to fix problems.  JCW listed-and probably
>still
>does- TA rear qtrs. that were Traveler/Terra only.  Lynn Faeth ORDERED
>them
>and tried to put them on.  They weren't right.  He saved me from
>ordering
>some.  And now the Light Line group has developed new ones.  How do
>you
>think JCW would have attacked the problem?  Right... they would just
>have
>deleted the listing.
>
>So if you really enjoy complaining about vendors and their prices,
>start
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]