Selenoid Replacement Problem

I should just post this directly to Dan Nees, since he and I are the
weekend digest buddies, but in case anyone else checks in, I wanted to
be able to get all of the advice that I could!
Anyway, I just went out to replace the selenoid on my '74 Wagonmaster
100, w/392, AT.  I replaced it without completely removing the starter,
but was able to take the bolt out, slide the starter around so I could
get to it well, and then replaced the selenoid why the starter kind of
hung in there.  Upon getting everything back together, I hopped up,
turned the key and got nothing.  I DID reconnect the battery, and have
lights and accessory lights on the dash.  I hooked up jumpers to my
Scout battery to make sure I hadn't simply dragged down my charge, still
nothing.  I was turning it over before I tried to change the selenoid,
but the starter was sticking "on," and I didn't want that to be
happening the whole time I was trying to troubleshoot my fuel pump.  So
anyway, I don't think it is the switch, as it was working well before,
and the switch is getting the juice through to the lights and
accessories.  I also have a brand new switch that I bought when I
thought that was the problem, and so I hooked it up-same problem.
What am I missing.  The selenoid only goes on one way, I put all of the
wires on their respective posts, etc.  Is there somethig weird about the
wires having to be in just the right order or something?  Is this a
frequent problem when a brand new selenoid is installed?  Simply need a
tap with a hammer or something?  Any ideas that I won't discover when I
go out and got through it again?
Thanks for any advice!  I'll check back after crawling around in the
puddles for a while!

Michael