Re: tom & Towing

Tom:

Those braking systems are about $400 if your towing vehicle has air brakes.
They are more like $800 if you have hydraulics on the towing vehicle
becuase you have to add an air pump and storage canister to operate the
brakes on the "towed" Scout.

Check some RV websites and sources. There are three or four of these out
there now and I'm sure that prices will drop as more come on the market.
The whole impetus of these things is that motorhomes are running all around
the country with Jeep GCs in tow, but no brakes on the GC. That is actually
a violation of law in many states (most states require "trailer brakes" on
any towed item over 3500 lbs) and Canada. It is an issue in many lawsuits
where Joe 40 ft. motorhome fails to slow down in time and rear ends
somebody's Honda. The attorneys hit them with negligence in their civil
suits for failure to have brakes on the towed vehicle.

And hey, if it is unsafe for a 16,000 lb motorhome when towing a 4,000 GC,
think of how it works when a 5,000 lb Scout tows a 5,000 lb Scout!

The anti sway bar I told you about will work with your towbar. It would
hook from one side of the tow bar to the Scout's hitch or bumper. Again,
check trailer supply or RV places. They carry, sell and install these.

Tom H.