Re: Towing

Tom:

Not only does your tow bar have a 5,000 lb tow weight max, so does your
Scout. And, I doubt that your "towed" Scout weighed much over 5,000 lbs.
I'm pretty sure my Terra said 4,200 lbs unladen, on the door tag, with
6,200 lbs max (also ties to 3100 lb rating for Dana 44 axles that Howard
told us about).

As to side sway, there are several devices available to help with that.
Flat towing or dolly towing anything with the Scout's short wheelbase is
going to result in this. And, due to the low ratio of towed Scout's wheight
to towing Scout's wheight (1.00 for you math-impaired folks), the sway of
the towed Scout is going to have a major effect on the towing Scout. That
sway is probably due to suspension, short wheelbase, road surface/crowning,
oversize tires (weaker sidewalls) etc.

One of the best options for you to look into for the racer would be an
"anti-sway bar". Nothing but a specialized shock abosorber that goes
between towing and towed vehicle to dampen the "resonance" and "rebound"
when the towed vehicle sways.

I would recommend you look into a "toad" vehicle braking system if you're
really going to tow the racer with the Scout. That will not only help with
sway, it will keep the racer from running your ass off the road on the long
downhills. BTDT.

Tom H.

Tom H.