Re: For those of you without a place to go....

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Tom Mandera wrote:

> do their little crawl and climb.. I'll just engage 4-low. :-)  (I need a
> big winch so I can just winch up sheer faces.. just to see the rock
> climber's faces...)

Reminds me of the comic that came in the recent issue of FourWheeler...

> I was thinking standard expanded steel for 1) cheap 2) light weight 3)
> built in drain.  The flip flops would be to keep your toes from getting
> caught in the expanded steel. :-)

True.  I knew you were thinking of if because of the built in drain, and I
guess it *would* be a bit lighter.....

> but better than "My Gosh that's COLD!"

Why not mount a pipe on your exhaust manifold somehow?  That should heat
up the water *really* well...:)

> > off of 12V.  Would keep it from sputtering air..
>
> 12V pump it is then.  Say.. what's a good, but cheap, electric fuel pump
> put out?  Probably not enough.. need one of those big Holley pumps for

You *might* find one at an ag-centered store that puts out 10 GPM, but the
common one will be around 3-4 probably.  So get 2 of them, and wye them
together....

> Hmmm.. fill the bumper with gas before you leave.. empty the gas into
> the gas tank when you get there, flush out the gas with water, then use
> the shower.

Not really environmentall safe.  Probably environmentally safer to light a
match.*grin*  Just take your bumper off first.:)

> > whole bumper.  And easier to make.  Not to mention cheaper as well...
>
> How about a mild-steel bumper, with a plastic/PVC sleeve inside?  WAY
> cheaper than stainless. :-)

What's the hottest PCV can get before it melts??  I think a metal pipe on
top of the bumper might work as well or better.  1" diameter should be
sufficient.  Wrap your heating element around it, or figure out a way to
mount a pipe to your exhaust.

> Also, I don't plan on always getting water from a spicket.. they don't
> have faucets in the places I prefer to camp.. ;-)

Understood.  Just get long wires for your pumps, and a good length of
hose, and you should be set.:)

> Cool!  And I thought I felt popular when everyone kept walking up to me,
> "So YOU are the famous Tom Mandera!" *last* summer.. now I can be "The
> famous Tom Mandera with on-board margarita/milk shake mixer, espresso
> machine, *AND* port-potty and shower!"

Just *one* more reason to drive to the Nat's.*big grin*  So I can see what
I helped you make.:)

> Sure.. and no one was suitably impressed with my plans on turning a
> Scout II hard top into a camper/cabin.. I thought *that* would surely
> get me some recognition at the next show... but no, the port-potty is
> the show winner... well, I'm *still* gonna work on the Hardtop-cabin
> idea..

I didn't think it was anything spectacular, just functional.  Not showy.
*G*

> shower facilities, but TWO, it NEVER stopped raining the whole dang
> time...

Reminds me of my cross country days.  There were a few meets that we
*never* ran when it was sunny.:)

Good luck with it Tom.

Dan