Re: Towing

jbade@domain.elided wrote:
> I found a Scout II 300 miles south of me.. I can drive it back But I don't
> So I was thinking of renting something from U-Haul.. and Use my friends 95
> Land Rover Disco.
> I figure V8 (Small V8)  But it's a full box frame.. it well built and got
> lockers on it. and a class 3 hitch I think..

Lockers?  What kinds?  I think that might make an impact on how well
it'd tow.. ARBs?  You're in great shape.  (BTW, anyone care to discuss
the drawbacks of lockers and a tow-rig?)

What does the Disco weigh?  I can't remember the Disco WB...

I recently towed a Scout II (full top, doors, motor, etc) behind my
Scout II (full top.. plus rollbar, 33s, spare parts, tools, etc) w/ 4"
lift and longer shackles n' such.

I used a tow-bar between the two.. using my stock step-bumper hitch.

It towed OK.  I only had 100 miles to cover.. but it was snowing and at
night. :-)  I didn't exceed 45mph very often.. the toquey 304 pulled
quite well at 45mph in 4th gear (4.09s & 33s).  Much above 45mph, and
the towed Scout would start to wiggle, buck, and push when it'd find
grooves in the pavement (all the time).

Eldon commented on BinderChat last night that I should learn not to saw
the wheel back n' forth.. :-)

When I towed a Scout II home that *same* 100 miles with no
motor/trans/axles on a flatbed behind a FS Bronco, it pulled just fine.
*same* 100 miles with a different Scout.. no top, not much of a body,
but a 345/727/D20 and an axle, and the Bronco behaved a little worse and
was subject to the same bucking and swaying I had with the flat-towed
Scout II.

Hmm.. that makes 3 Scouts I've hauled home from Belgrade(Bozeman).. and
one I had delivered from Billings.. :-)

> Why can't it be only a few miles from me?

Because it would be twice as expensive. :-)

If you think you could handle 45mph... I'd do it.  If you go slow
enough, you'll be fine.

FWIW, you could rent a tow-dolly for $40 or so.. but U-haul will tell
you that your Scout II just WILL NOT FIT.  I think they're lying, but...

U-haul wanted $140 for a tow-bar.. another RV shop in Bozeman sold it to
us for $125.  I paid another $50 for the magnetic lights n' such (then I
was lucky enough to have an adapter handy for my 4-round to 4-flat
conversion).. after I re-wired my trailer light plug that had never
worked. :-)

I'm going to pick up some new C-channel.. or use an already trashed
front bumper.. nah, new C-channel (I don't like the square holes that
are typically worn out on the stock bumpers), and then weld some 1/4"
strap to the front of it with the appropriate spacing for my tow-bar.

next time, I'll unbolt the stock bumper, bolt on my new C-channel
"bumper" with tow-bar mounts, and away I go.  This time, the bumper I
had like that didn't fit (wrong width mounts), so we drilled the stock
(bent) bumper for the clamps, and then had to weld the bumper to the
frame to keep it from wiggling since that particular "square hole" area
in the chrome bumper had worn through and was in danger of coming loose.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout