Re: Towing

Someone wrote:

So I was thinking of renting something from U-Haul.. and Use
my friends 95
Land Rover Disco.
I figure V8 (Small V8)  But it's a full box frame.. it well
built and got
lockers on it. and a class 3 hitch I think..
Can I do it?  Should I do it?  Should I just drive it back
and see what
happens?

-------------------------end quote-------------------------

I towed my non-running '78 Scout from San Francisco to Salt
Lake City.  ...over the Sierras, mind you.  When I called
U-Haul to rent a trailer, they asked me what would I be
towing and what the tow vehicle would be.  I wanted the
trailer because tow-bar towing sucks.  The short version is
that they will only rent if your towed vehicle's weight is a
certain percentage of the weight of the tow vehicle.  I
ended up borrowing a buddy's half-ton Suburban and using a
tow bar.  With the added weight of the trailer, I exceeded
U-Haul's limits.

The tow with the Suburban went well, except for the
occasional "wheels the wrong way" on the Scout in turns in
town.  I had to get out in the intersection and point the
wheels the proper way a few times.  On the flats and uphill,
towing was very stable.  On the long downhill run this side
of the Sierras, I only felt stable at less than 60 mph.  The
Scout really pushed the big Suburban around.

So If you want to tow with a Disco (I wouldn't), it might be
wise to lie to the U-Haul rep when he/she asks what you're
planning to tow.  The short wheelbase and light weight of
the Disco will make for some unstable times if you have any
long downhill runs.  You'll need to keep your speed down.
...but a 300 mile tow is feasible.

In case you're wondering...  Either disconnect the rear
driveshaft or lock in the front hubs of the Scout when you
tow.  You won't have any oiling of the rear output bearing
on the transfer case if you don't.  ...transfer case in
neutral.

Doug
'78 Scout
'78 Traveler