Re: Was Humble Pie now Scout vs. Jeep

I like JEEPS a lot myself, and would probably have had one if it weren't for the
price and the fact that I fell in love with the beautiful curves and full-figured
voluptuousness of a '68 Travelall about seven years ago.  Now I am an IH man.  I had
an old Willys pick up briefly-before it was stolen!  Loved it, too.
I, however, know several JEEP drivers that seem to live for no other purpose than to
bash my Scout and my choice of it.  The worst of this lot is the JEEP owner with the
Chevy 350 swapped in.  There are three of these that I know, and they are constantly
trying to get me to swap a 350 into my IH.  Why?  I ask.  Horsepower!  They say.
Anyway, my father loved IH and loved JEEP (CJ5's only, though.  The CJ7, with its
longer wheelbase is "not a JEEP, it's a car!"), and I have a lot of respect for
both.  However, it has been my experience with JEEP owners that turns me off.  It's
much like HARLEYS.  Some of them seem to deem themselves and their vehicles superior
to other off-roaders, and not want to fraternize with others.  Same with Harleys.  I
have had about seven or eight bikes, but very quickly learned that the love of the
wind in the hair, and the love of the handling characteristics of a bike were not
the unifying links of bikers.  To many it is the love of the chrome on the pipe and
the paint scheme on the tank that matters most, and if yours isn't shiny enough or
pretty enough, you are not to speak or be spoken to!   I have "met" a few of you
JEEP owners here on the digest, and do not group you in this class, so please don't
take offense.  And if any of you ride bikes, none of you seem the type that would be
mutually exclusive of whom you rode with, either.  Thus, I am not trying to attack
anyone here, just making a very long-winded explanation why I do not object at all
when some of the digest members bash JEEPS-because in my experience, many of them do
the same to us!

Michael