Re: Tom H's expertise

Epp:

Can't say for sure. That is one of those, "You need to call the DMV to find
out" questions. And, don't expect a straight answer there. I suspect that
Mr. Mandera is correct.

I know that if you want to change engines, you must include or maintain all
of the smog equipment that was required for the year/make/model of the
engine or the body, whichever is later. (Whichever will cause you the most
problem.)

Diesels are exempt from the inspection process in Calfornia. But yet, the
DMV has never been able to answer my question as to whether it is legal to
convert a car from gas to diesel. Their basic answer has been a firm "no",
but when I push and say, "but a diesel was available in my Scout instead of
the 304. Can't I put one of those in?" then they say, "Maybe".

Cars 1964 and earlier, prior to the introduction of Fed smog laws, are
completly exempt from the program at this time. But, the CARB is not very
happy about that. And, look what happens (or is supposed to happen) if you
put a modern 'vette 350 in your '57 Chevy. You're supposed to put in all of
the pollution components, including cats and everything. It is supposed to
meet the same standards as the 'vette at that point, visually and tailpipe
wise.

Cars '65 to '73 are now exempt from inspections, unless it is the first
time registering it in California (like bringing in an out of state car).
BUT, it is still illegal to modify, remove or change the emissions system
in any way, including changing carbs, intakes, etc. that aren't "approved".
Thus, you could still get in trouble, there just isn't any real enforcement
program.

BUT, they are going to "roadside monitors" which will measure the exhaust
gasses of passing cars and photograph the license plate of any that are
considered "high emitters". Then, they will mail the owner an order to
appear with that vehicle at a state run, smog inspection station. I guess
this means that if a big rig passes you at just the right moment, you're
going to end up in an inspection station. Big brother is watching.

By the way, for those of you that think CA is wierd, it is really the Feds
via the EPA that are pushing California to further clean up it's air or
suffer withholding of Fed funding for any transportation or transit
projects. The C.A.R.B. answer is to get all pre 1995 cars off the road
ASAP.

Our smog inspection program measures HC, CO and NOx. The EPA has issues
with our ozone levels. Go figure. The relationship is not direct!

Tom H.