RE: Tom H's expertise

Epp,

I believe most states go by the body. Colorado certain does - whether you
live in Denver/Boulder (which is like CA), or whether you live out in the
country
where there is zero testing.

One thing that you can try is to go for a kit-car license.  They will
actually
manufacture a new VIN number for you.  This is what the folks do who build
street rods.  I was going to pursue that (since I've got a 1975 drivetrain &
running gear on a 1980) but gave up for lack of time.  The best folks to
talk
to about this would be folks that work in/with street rods.  In Colorado,
there
is a state emissions department with about a half-dozen people that know
*everything*.  Probably about the same everywhere.  These people seemed very
cooperative and pleasant to work with.

I'll be talking plenty to them over the next year since I'll be moving
within
the Denver area, and have a '74 travelall that the prior owner removed the
air
pump from (and *welded* bolts into the head holes!) and a 1980 Scout with
dual
exhaust, dual cats, headers, no heat-riser.  The Scout has been passing very
tough diesel->gas inspections in the 'Springs, but I don't know if it will
pass
in Denver.

Good luck,

Ken Farmer