First weld

Greetings,
I need some suggestions (to pass on to my daughter) for welding projects
that can be handled by a
beginner and hopefully be Scout related.
Some background:
My eldest daughter is taking an agricultural welding class and the only
farm equipment we own is
the Scout :-)  I do have some cowboy equipment but welding leather would
be damn hard and stink to
boot.
Anyway, some of the projects that come to mind are probably better left
to an experienced welder,
such as a family cage over the rear seat or a set of recessed u-bolt
spring hangers.
I wonder if a rear bumper with receiver hitch would be a good first
project? It would not involve
the drive train/running gear or safety equipment.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Any designs you would like to share for educations sake?
BTW she got into the class a year late and after 1 hour of practice is
laying down a better bead
than 75% of the class, shes also the only girl.

So far I have $75.00 into this project because she *had* to have black
Carhart coveralls to match
the rest of her welding and irrigating outfit.

Willy
Proud dad
77 SS II