Poly bushing install

Hello all,
  I'm just getting around to installing the poly spring bushings I
got for Christmas.  Needless to say, it's not going as quickly as I'd
envisioned.  The old rubbers have no surrounding metal sleeve to
press out, and they were also a two-piece type, so removal was no big
deal.  I cleaned the surface inside the spring and inserted both
sides of the new bushings and the shoulders will fully contact the
spring eye on both sides.  When I use the bolt-method to pull the
inner sleeve through though, it appears the bushings will squeeze out
about 1/16" or so as it's pulled through.  I've checked that there's
no grease between them creating a hydraulic action, and even lopped
off a small amount from the end of one bushing to give a small air
gap, and that only helped a bit.  What am I missing here?  I'm using
large washers with appropriate-sized sockets to do the pushing when I
turn on the nut/bolt setup.  Any helpful hints will be greatly
appreciated,
Myron   '68 Scout 800
C. Myron Ware   Senior Prog/Analyst, CNE |  NASA Langley Research Center
Email c.m.ware@domain.elided             |  Hampton, Va   23681
http://cnb-www.larc.nasa.gov/~ware/cmw-home.html  (work) or
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/1370  (non-work)

Thought for the day:  Experience is what you get when you didn't
  get what you really wanted.