Re: Major advice needed

Skip,
   First off, as Master Yoda says, "Size matters not!" So post as long
as you want. Although it is easier to respond to one topic at a time.
   Axles. For the rear, if you want to spend the $600 for a full floater
kit in the rer, kick in the other $60 and get the disk brake bracket as
well. This will emmensly help your stopping power. Replace the outer
bearings in the rear, the inners should be fine, unless there was
extensive contanimation in the rear. The front axle would be the same,
except if you are going to take it apart, you should replace the inner
u-joints, and while your at it you could put in new ball joints with the
add-a-caster that the Scout Ranch sells to add a littl more caster to
help with the steering.
   Steering. Replace the pump. That would probable be the main cause of
the leak. The gear box is probably fine unless it is internally worn,
which you won't be able to diagnosse until you fix the rag joint and
steering knuckle. A Straight Steer will help alot. Also, while this
falls under suspention as well, replace the spring bushings with new
polyurethane bushings. This will help the steering a whole lot.
   Suspention. Replace the spring and body bushings with poly will make
the ride more controled and quieter. If you want a lift for flex go with
a spring lift. If you just want to be taller get a body lift. I don't
thin Triangle makes a 2" lift, unless they custom it for you. The only
other 2" lift that I know of is a Rancho, but that has been known to
give 5" of lift, even though it is rated at only 2 1/2", go figure! I
like my 4" Triangle.
   An aftermarket ignition system will help your MPG a little,but this
is a culmative thing. New plugs, wires, clean rebuilt carb, cap, rotor,
srong coil, and the weight of your foot all make a difference. I get
about 11MPG with my 345 4bbl. This is about the average. I did get,
though this is disputed, 18MPG on the highway coming home from Ohio. I
like the Jacob's ignition myself. The MileMarker package with the coil
and plug wires works well. I also run a Carter AFB on my 345, but that
won't help your 304. I run a 2300 aftermarket series carb on my 304. I
don't remember the exact number, but I got it from SSS.
   I hope that answers, or helps with some of your questions.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
The
"Good" 1979 Scout II  345/auto