Re: help! weird sounds coming from somewhere

Hi Theresa and all,

Just a thought, but your mentioning of the speedometer needle wiggling
reminded me of a past problem with another car.  The problem only appeared
first thing on extremely cold mornings.  The speedometer cable was running
dry of lubrication.  This wasn't my first thought as being the source of
this noise, since the noise was so loud inside the car.  Anyways, after a
few miles, I guess enough grease was still present to eventually stop the
noise.  The speedometer needle still shook once in a while, but the noise
would disappear.

I can't remember how the Scout speedometer cable hooks up right now, but if
it's the type that screws on to the side of the tranny housing, unscrew it
from the tranny and also from behind the dash.  I used a speedometer grease
fitting to lubricate the cable.  I think I got it from NAPA or someone like
that.  It was pretty cheap, and you'll probably never use it again, but it
did the trick.  I had to have a friend hold a rag over the end of the cable
up by the dash for two reasons.  One was to catch any grease that might
come out, and the other was to keep the flexible metal strip inside the
cable from pushing out once the grease is applied.

It's a thought anyways.  Hopefully it'll be a simple fix for your problem.

Take care and good luck,
John