vacuum wiper motors

><><
>Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 13:41:16 -0500 (EST)
>From: "daniel.r.felix.1" <dfelix2@domain.elided>Subject: Vaccum wiper motors

>For those of you like me with non functioning >vaccum wiper motors, my
>mechanic told me something yesterday that some of >you may or may not know.
>He said to unhook it and take it out, fill it with >ATF, and let it sit (I
>don't remember how long he said, but I think >overnight would be good).
>Then dump the ATF out, and hook it up.  It should >work better, as the seal
>(which he said is leather) will then actually >seal, rather than letting
>the air through/out.

Dan, this can work, but I tried the similiar approach with my wipers and they worked fine for about 2 months or so.  Finally we got some warmer weather and i decided that I danced with death too many times because I couldn't see out the windshield ("Where's that damn car that was in front of me??")  Anyway, yesterday, I pulled both wiper motors out of my white Scout, COMPLETELY dismantled them and cleaned them very thouroughly.  You definately want to check for pits in the metal, or corrosion as this will not allow the leather to seal properly.  Well, as things went, I found that my passenger side was all corroded and there were large pits in the very bottom from moisture.  No problem, go to the parts pile and find another one!  Anyway, use sandpaper and make sure you get that wiper housing really smooth on the inside.  Then reasemble with lightweight grease, I used plumbers grease.  It's waterproof and it was inside so I didn't have to go out to the garage to get the other grease :)  Anyway, i hope I don't have to worry about those stupid wipers for a while.  By the way, getting the drivers side wiper motor out is a b**tch, ain't it?  I've got battle scars on  my hands from it.

---
1967 Scout 800, 196, 3spd, 4wd, red Scout "the nice one"
1967 Scout 800, 266, 3spd, 4wd, white Scout "the beater"
1967 Scout 800, 152, 3spd, 2wd, free Scout "the project, soon to be a Sporttop"
1967 Scout 800, 152, 3spd, 2wd, ugly Scout "the Sportop, for parts"
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/2512/index.html