Re: Travelall Tanks

Rich-

Is there any possibility that you are having the plugged filler tube problem?
Perhaps someone in a previous life altered your vent hose hook-up and after
your tanks get about half-way full, the tank cannot let air out fast enough to
let gas in?  This is a perennial problem with IH.  Of course, it also is
POSSIBLE, though not very probable, that the same thing that causes this, the
IH factory option of throwing dirt and sand everywhere, including up to the
vent hose top, has thrown so much gunk in the tank that their capacity has been
seriously lowered.  I highly doubt this, but there has to be some logical
explanation.  Have you tried using a Jerry (Gerry?) can to fill them fuller?
Get a big five gallon can, take it to the gas station with you, and when the
tanks seem unwilling to take any more, fill the can.  This allows time for the
gas in the tank to settle to a lower level even with air turbulence, and allows
you to proceed to filling the tank with the can, which will fill at a much
slower rate that the pump, and with less volume going down the tube all at
once, allows more air to escape.
The next suggestion is to fill that gas can up and take it with you.  Run the
tanks COMPLETELY dry-until they stall.  This way you can see how far you go
once you're reading "E" on the guage, and then you can appraise exactly how
much gas it takes to fill up each tank when completely empty!

Hope these ideas are useful.  Of course, you may have already tried them!

Michael