RE: IH pickups & revisiting lifts

> SLarsonIH@domain.elided wrote:

> Are there any downsides to putting in a 2 1/2 suspension lift in
> a Scout. I've
> got a 3 inch body lift, and wonder if it might be better to put in a 2 1/2
> lift instead of the 4 inch. Anybody ever put on in? Likes/dislikes?

I drive a lot, and need my scout to handle very well on the highway.  I did
the
4" suspension lift (triangle springs), and ran into a variety of
complications.  I didn't like how it handled, and got some strange
drivetrain
noise.  So now I've twisted the front axle to add caster, added a cv-joint
and new driveshaft.  Total for parts & labor:  $650.  Hopefully, everything
will be fine now.

On the other hand, Mike Meyer has an older style scout with 2.5" springs and
(I think) a 2" body lift, and his scout looks like it handled on the
twisting
canyon roads better than any scout I'd seen (no lean), and it did fine
offroad.
In retrospect, I wish I had gone that route.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1975 Travelall
1974 Travelall