Re: IHC Rosetta Stone

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:46:51 -0800 "SEC" <skinner@domain.elided> writes:
>Is there a Rosetta Stone that converts the high holy language (aka IHC
>Parts Model Number) into terms understood by the unwashed masses that
>occupy most auto parts counters and repair garages.  It would appear
that
>sages such as Howard Pletcher, Bill Thebert, Jim Weed, John Landry and
>others and have at least had occasion to glance at such a treasure.
This
>much sought after device would translate my "FA-52 Front Axle" into the
>commonly known "Dana 60 Front Axle(?)", my "T141 Transfer Case" into a
"NP
>205 Transfer Case(?), my "RA15 SGL Rear Axle" into a "???" and my "T44
>Transmission" into a "???".  Am I on a hopeless quest for a Holy Grail?
>SEC	'79 SSII  & '70 1300D

This is information that the unwashed masses are not allowed to see.
:-)

If you find that Holy Grail or a secret decoder ring, let me know as I
need a copy too.  There is none that I know of, only lots of experiece
with the pieces lets you identify them.  Most IH literature carefully
gives only the IH codes.  Some of the non-IH parts books identify an
FA-52 as a Dana 60, but not necessarily.  Because I am more of a Scout
guy than a light truck guy, I didn't know until now that the FA-52 was a
Dana 60--now I do.  I don't know the model designation, but I'm pretty
sure the RA-15 is an IH design axle and the T-44 is the 2WD version of
the Warner Gear Model 18, used in the 2WD Scouts as well.

It sounds to me like you just made a suggestion for an FAQ.  I've started
a list  and will post it soon and let others add in what they know.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]