Re: : Radiator Fan Configurations

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in "Jeff Tarquinio"
<tark_terra@domain.elided>'s head said:

>When both of my water pumps "went" they were leaking pretty profusely from the area around the bearing.  You can't really see the source due the pullies obstructing the view, I assumed it was weaping by the bearing.

Tark,

Not that it matters much... because when the pump starts leaking it needs
to be replaced... but the seal is behind the bearing pack.  When the seal
leaks, the coolant will flow out the weep hole which is between the seal
and the bearings.  The bearings are not affected by the seal leaking.  I
mention this because I really don't think the "load" of the fan on the pump
makes *any* difference as to how long the *seal* will last.  The way the
seal is located and designed, it's unaffected by loads placed on the pump
shaft.

Now the life of the bearings is another matter altogether and would
certainly be affected to some degree by the load on the pump shaft.
However, I've had the opportunity to examine a pump which had probably well
over 100,000 miles on it and while the seal was certainly leaking, the
bearings seemed perfect.  The bearings and shaft are supplied as a factory
sealed unit.  The bearings cannot be removed and replaced from the shaft.

I'd like to try and find a source for the special seals... Eldon???

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |