Re: I want room for 33 tyres, and I have an auto

Eric Sundman wrote:

> I would like to put 33 inch tyres on my '78 Scout II Traveler, and
> understand that the only way to do that is to raise 3 or 4 inches??
> Well, I would like to know the best way to do this.

A 4" suspension lift will not allow 33" tires without severely limiting
suspension up-travel.  That's my NSHO.  I have a 4" Skyjacker Softride
lift with 2" longer rear shackles, and my rear tires (33x12.50 Cooper
STTs) still rub badly in the rear.. not on the fender lip, but on the
rear of the wheel well.

> I've tossed and turned lots of ideas.  Right now, I'm thinking of a 100%
> body lift because the under-slung springs look like a lot of fooling
> around to raise much less than 6"!

??  Unbolt the old springs, bolt in new lift springs.  Pretty simple
procedure... IN THEORY.  Realistically, you'll want to change out the
frame side of the shackle bushings.. major PITA, and you'll probably
find rusty or bent bolts in the whole assembly, too.  Not complex, just
labor intensive.

A body lift will provide MORE room for tires than a similarly advertised
suspension lift.  IMO, a suspension lift alone does not allow larger
tires.  Only lowering the 'stops and a suspension lift.

> So, the question I have, is what kind of problems will I have making my
> automatic transmission work with a 3" or 4" body lift?  I know that I
> will also have to realign my steering, etc., from the well-written
> articles in some digests last week.

No 4" body lifts!  3" is the max, but should be suitable for 33s.

As for problems with the 727... I've heard the shifter linkage is fine
to a point.. but I don't know if 3" is that point or not.

Fan shroud, steering column, gas filler neck, brake m/c to distribution
block, and maybe a few others..

> If anyone has any suggestions, or possibly how I could gain 2 or 3" of
> suspension lift, I would really, really, appreciate it.  Correspondence
> appreciated,

Just install 4" lift springs.. simple enough for a suspension lift.
Just plunk down yer cash.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 4" Skyjacker lift, 2" extended rear shackles, as much
wheel well trimming as prudent (and then some), and 33x12.50s still rub