Re: More Transmission Swappage Q's

>My perception is that the cab floor will interfere (near the point where
the transmission tunnel & the cargo floor meet -- by the right rear leg of
the driver's seat) with the shift lever and the attachment of the standard
shift cable.<

Nope, didn't have any interference there.   Very close fit where the
shifter arm comes out of the side of the tranny (just back of the gas
pedal).  I cut the access hole in the tunnel there to make hooking cooling
and shifter stuff easier.
I made the cover plate kind of "bubbled" out, that may be neccesary to
clear the shifter linkage.  That access hole makes adjustments a whole lot
easier.

>Solutions to this interference are several:
1) About a 1" body lift ought to provide enough clearance for the flexible
shift cable -- which loops around and approaches the 727 transmission from
the REAR, btw.<

Not neccesary depending on where you mount the shifter mechanism.  I
mounted my Scout II shifter quite a ways back.

>2) Some "BFH Clearancing" (technical term -- don't ask) of that area of
the
body tub floor or, what seemed simplest to me,
3) Install at the same time a B&M Megashifter -- which comes with its own
actuating cable & attachment bracket for same.  This bracket and cable
approach the small shift lever on the transmission FROM THE FRONT and with
a lower profile bracket.  This eliminates the interference issue entirely,
without the need for a body lift or tub modification.<

Yep, originally I used a B&M ratchet shifter.  The problem I had twice, to
the tune of $50 per incident, the front approach cable is too near the
headers and melts.  B&M cables are notoriously non-heat tolerant.  I tried
insulating the cable, same problem.  The IH bellhousings are so wide it's
hard to keep the cable away from the exhaust without making too sharp
bends.  Now I'm back to the Scout II setup/cable.  When I get time I may to
adapt a longer B&M cable to use with the Scout II shifter with back
approach.  Because of it's short length the Scout II cable has to take a
little sharper bend than I think it should.

I think I saw a Hurst shifter with a rear approach, if they have one I'll
probably get one of those.

>I've not yet determined what difference (if any) in overall length there
will be -- and whether, therefore, the driveshaft lengths will need to be
adjusted.<

About 1" between my previous T19 and the 727.  Since I had a newly
fabricated driveline that worked with the previous tranny, I didn't have to
alter that.

>Lastly, the flex-plate is different for the 727 vs. the Borg-Warner.  A
TF727 flex-plate, the spacer on the end of the crankshaft, and the 8 or so
bolts for same will also be required -- unless I'm mistaken, which is
entirely possible.<

Could be, I don't know anything about the B-W's.

>All of the above refers to the swap behind a V-8, by the way.  All bets
are
off behind one of those "tipped" 4-poppers (though I don't recall any of
those coming from the factory with Borg-Warner automatics in the first
place).<

Yeah, I was assuming Alan had a V8.

BTW, I had lots of fun blowing off lesser SUV's at the stop light with my
B&M drag race shifter.  I could run the 304 up to about 4500 rpm and chirp
the tires as I made POSITIVE shifts from first to second and second to
drive.  The Scout II shifter just isn't that selectible, when I try it now
I usually end up in "N" <G>.

Doug