Re: Cam checking, Landry, etc.

As the little green aliens inserted a searing hot probe into the sternum of
Doug Rasmussen <DougRasmussen@domain.elided>, a blood curdling scream was
heard...

>  Now my question is,  you know what the "print" specs are,  do you know
>what the acceptable/unacceptable out of tolerance condition is?
>Considering that these cams might be ground on a "copying" type of machine,
>I'd expect there would be some deviation from print.

No... I don't have tolerances.  I'm hoping to get more data on what the true
factory specs from Eldon M. before I begin the degreeing process.  Eldon has
been having computer problems so I haven't heard from him in awhile.  I guess
what I'll be looking for is to verify that the valve timing isn't off by more
than a degree or two and I'll be checking for consistency between the
cylinders.  I wouldn't think a degree here or there of error would present a
problem in the big picture, but certainly being 4 or 5 degrees off on a lobe
would cause me to take some sort of action.

I'm learning through this whole rebuild project and would probably want to
consult with some experienced engine rebuilders if I discovered a problem.
The place where I'm having my engine machine work done builds racing engines
and has an engine dynamometer.  Between them, the owner and one of his
machinists has probably 30 years of rebuilding IH engines for a former machine
shop which had an IH dealership and a school bus contractor's account before
they opened this place.  If anyone would know the consequences of error in a
cam, then these would be the guys to ask.

Take care,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke