Conversion from Power to Manual Steering ?

>going from power assisted steering on a '68 1200C 2wd Travelette back to
manual.

Ran mine that way for years when I had a broken steering arm where the
hydraulic cylinder hooks up.
  I took the powersteering pump belt off, pushed the cylinder rod all the
way in and pivoted it up and drilled a hole in the sheet metal and bolted
the cylinder out of the way.  I stayed with the loose steering, didn't
replace the steering valve assembly with a solid one.  Find a manual
steering 1200 and get the push rod (whatever the correct name is.) and put
it in.  My 1200B with the power steering has the same steering box as my
C120 pickup with manual steering.

If you can't find a replacement push rod, you should be able to make some
kind of clamp to lock the moveable end of the steering valve in its
extended position, essentially making a solid push rod.

This way, if you ever hear of a good way of fixing up the steering, not
much work to put the system back in operation.

I understand that early 65 or so Mustangs had the same type of steering.
Haven't checked out what their solution to loose steering and how
successful it is.

Anyone have a good memory of how tight this power assist steering is when new?

>The current power steering is very loose and I have been told that the
rebuild for it is high priced.

Price I have been quoted is $160 for the overhaul kit for the valve assembly.

Mike - hey, I can too keep it in my lane, just like to get more use of the
road taxes I pay.