Re: 4 wheel drive noises? yikes...

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in Ed Kraus
<Edkraus@domain.elided>'s head said:

>1.    After locking in my manual front hubs, and driving I shift into 4
>wheel, That when the noises start.  The front right sounds like a power
>air wrench when it can't turn anymore. you know the super fast machine
>gun noise.  (is this hubs only or a more severe problem?)

I read what Tom M. said, but maybe you have one or both hubs
malfunctioning.  I could see getting a machine gun sound if the hubs where
not completely engaging and the clutch spines were slipping past each
other.

>2.    Same sequence of events, but front left wheel...  Noise is VERY
>different it sounds and feels like a super vibration like a propeller
>plane engine, VERY loud only happens occasionally and for short periods.

Wow... maybe it's the front ring and pinion.  I'm not trying to scare you,
but this definitely sounds bad and is certainly *not* a normal Scout sound.

Has it just started doing this?  Have you driven it in 4WD in the past with
no problems?

>So any one know?  I'm having the hubs looked at  monday.  there are NO
>noises or problems when I'm in 2 wheel hi with the "Hubs unlocked"

So do you get any noise with the truck in 4WD with the manual hubs
*unlocked*?  Knowing this would help narrow down where the problem is.
Post the result for the Digest to digest.

Take care,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |