Re: 4 wheel drive noises? yikes...

Ed Kraus wrote:

> 1.    After locking in my manual front hubs, and driving I shift into 4
> wheel, That when the noises start.  The front right sounds like a power
> air wrench when it can't turn anymore. you know the super fast machine
> gun noise.  (is this hubs only or a more severe problem?)

Ed - is the front axle the same ratio as the rear?

Try putting the 'case into 4-low and see if it makes the same noise..

It might be you're not getting all the way into 4wd and the gears are
not quite meshing... BTDT.. you need to pull a little farther on the
stick to get it to engage properly.. or adjust something.

Drive really slow with the front hubs UNLOCKED and try pulling the stick
into 4wd.. you WILL hear a ratcheting.. is it the same ratcheting?
You'll get it at this point because the front is not spinning at all
while the rear is.  It'll grind and not mesh.

-Tom