Re: Got Dolly home, boy is she thirsty!

As the little green aliens inserted a searing hot probe into the sternum of
"SEC" <skinner@domain.elided>, a blood curdling scream was heard...

>Well, after no small effort I've got my 1970 1300D home.  She's a former
>fire truck [4X4, 392, 4sp, 1ton, dually, PS/PB], was a brush fire truck
>equipped w/ a 600 gal tank & pump.  Some questions for the pro's:

Glad you made in back!  I was wondering how your adventure went.  I'm looking
forward to a phone call one of these evenings and a complete run down.  How
did the Edelbrock work out?  How about the distributor?  Details man!

>Although the line setting ticket says power brakes (and it stops pretty
>easily considering it's size) there is no vacuum assist canister, the
>master cylinder is mounted directly to the firewall, what gives?

Could have been removed... or maybe it's mounted remotely somewhere else???

>Where can I get a power steering cap?

Let me know when you find out... I want one too!

>The line setting ticket says a 16 gal tank but I ran it dry on my way home,
>put 4 gals from a GI can in her drove about 10 miles to a gas station and
>could only get 10 more gals in her.  How likely is it that the ticket is
>wrong and I've got the 13 gal tank?

Here's a thought... It sounds like you have a non-vented fuel tank cap, which
I don't believe would be the correct type for such a vehicle.  Most vented
caps from Stant and the like have a check valve that will allow air in, but
not the fumes out.  If your's doesn't allow air in, then it's possible the
vacuum in the tank became so great that the electric pump could not overcome
it.  Then you *thought* the tank ran dry, but in reality it still had fuel in
it.  Maybe it is a 16 gallon tank that just needs the correct fuel cap?

Or maybe the tank was replaced for some reason and a smaller one put in.

>She gets a rock solid 7.5 mpg so needless to say I've got to add additional
>fuel capacity.  The where aux. tanks that have been removed because the
>terminated fuel lines are still there.  Any suggestions on aux. tanks that
>will ride between the frame rails?

They could easily be custom welded to your specifications.  Or maybe it's time
to invest in a MIG welder and build them yourself.  I'd be happy to teach you
what I know about welding and help you bend the sheet metal panels on a metal
brake I have access to.  You should never pass up an excuse to have a welder!

>The fuel pump has been converted to electric, any comments pro/con?

Fuel pumps suck.

>The fuel tank is under vacuum when the filler cap (not the original btw),
>it sucks air in and emits a 'pop' as the tank expands.  I'm used to fuel
>tanks being under pressure (if anything) when the cap is removed, is this a
>problem?

Yes!

>much thanks to John Landry for his assistance so far (he's gonna faint when
>he sees the oil under the hood!)

Can't be worse than Dan Ness' truck I'm sure.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com      |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)