Tom's ABS Sarcasm...

John Hofstetter wrote:

> Tommy my boy,
> Actually, although I think your intention was to make light of the ABS
> technology, some of what you intended as sarcasm was exactly the facts.

I don't know that I'm making "light" of it exactly.. just offering
unsolicited comments. :-)  Observations I've made.. and yes, somewhat
sarcastic but at the same time true.

ABS & automatics are great for the vast majority of the population that
only knows "OFF" and "ON".. with respect to "Jam the throttle" and "Jam
the brakes".  Thus, much like the current
"SUV-that's-more-station-wagon-than-truck" fad, it's appropriate for
nearly everyone.

I think the argument has been made, and I "buy it".. that a PROPERLY
TRAINED driver can handle a non-ABS car better than he/she is able to
operate an ABS car... or, the Human can do it better than the Computer.

The same can be said (I think) for Fuel Injection and computerized
setups.. a human *CAN* make adjustments and tweaks and changes to make a
given motor perform BETTER without the computer/FI than with...
*however*, it requires an extraordinary amount of effort, and the motor
would only perform better in a GIVEN SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES.  The flip
side - the computerized FI works pretty darn well in ALL conditions and
requires Zip for effort and adjustments.

Windows/Macintosh works very well for the majority of the population...
but the "true geeks" run Unix with it's command line or X-windows
interfaces.  More powerful, but less friendly.. those that know what
they're doing love it and get more done.. those that are slightly less
proficient find it difficult and hard to use.. so they give their money
to Micro$loth.

Just an observation that seems to hold true through most of things..
YMMV, of course. :)

> A GC as one example has far superior brakes to our Scouts. Witness that
> those who are struggling to get rear disks on their Scouts are testimony to
> that. The GC weighs about half as much as the Scout and that contributes to
> it being easier to bring to a stop, even if the brakes were equal.

Agreed.  The GC has newer, and better, brakes.. with or without ABS.

> 4WD. It also doesn't have as good a set of windshield wipers. It also
> doesn't have as good a defroster system, although I admit it sounds like
> yours was really trying to do something the other day.

Hot and *humid* air doesn't make for a good defroster setup.. :-)

> In my opinion, it would be stupid not to allow more "buffer" with the Scout,
> and I appreciate the fact that you exercise good judgment and allow for that
> buffer. However, that doesn't mean that another person is the less for the
> fact that he/she has the ABS in reserve should circumstances get out of

Just observing that it'd be a much nicer place if you (everyone) allowed
the *same* buffer with the GC as you do with the Scout.. think of how
exponentially "safer" your driving would be.  It's not a fault of any
particular person.. just a trend that makes me feel queasy in
rush-hour... I don't have a problem screaming through Seattle at 65mph
bumper to bumper.. but if I had to do it every day?  Ugh.  I am 100%
alert when I'm making my way through such traffic.. but I seem to be the
only person that even remembers the "one car length per 10mph" rule..
I'm the ONLY person with a safety zone in front of me.. and I don't
think it's enough, and it's always getting filled by the next person
that wants to cut in front of me and test my reaction time and brakes...

It's a good thing my Scout's starting to look a little sinister.. such
actions have gone down. :-)

> his/her control. You, my buddy, of all people must know about circumstances
> getting out of control. (g)

Definitely!  As Harais said... $h!t happens.. and it's always when you
don't want it to. :)

I'm not even sure what started this thread... but one more comment
before I go.. ;)

ABS only helps (the average person) after you've nailed the brake pedal
to the floor.  It has NOTHING to do with reaction time.. I'll go ahead
and update my Scout's braking system to bring down the "60-0" stopping
distances.. but that's only one half of the equation.. the other half
can't really be fixed... because it's YOU and ME.  Human reaction times
are more variable than how fast your Terra vs. your GC can stop.. a
"slow" reacting person in a GC will still stop less quickly than I can
when I'm alert in my heavy Scout.

-Tom