Re: ihc-digest V6 #442

Tommy my boy,
Actually, although I think your intention was to make light of the ABS
technology, some of what you intended as sarcasm was exactly the facts.
A GC as one example has far superior brakes to our Scouts. Witness that
those who are struggling to get rear disks on their Scouts are testimony to
that. The GC weighs about half as much as the Scout and that contributes to
it being easier to bring to a stop, even if the brakes were equal.

I allow much more buffer room when I have the 6000 lb. trailer behind me
than when it isn't there.

I allow more buffer room when I am driving the Scout in traffic than when I
am driving the GC.

I am looking ahead on the road much more when I am driving the Scout in bad
weather because it not only doesn't have ABS, it also doesn't have All-time
4WD. It also doesn't have as good a set of windshield wipers. It also
doesn't have as good a defroster system, although I admit it sounds like
yours was really trying to do something the other day.

In my opinion, it would be stupid not to allow more "buffer" with the Scout,
and I appreciate the fact that you exercise good judgment and allow for that
buffer. However, that doesn't mean that another person is the less for the
fact that he/she has the ABS in reserve should circumstances get out of
his/her control. You, my buddy, of all people must know about circumstances
getting out of control. (g)
Regards and hopefully this is my last comment on ABS.

John Hofstetter