Re: Most dangerous braking situation...

>>   I still to this day have no idea what cause us to go into that spin

>I'll tell you Dan... the dumba** driver was the cause!  <grin>

>Your story reads like the poster child for the high insurance rates of
>young male, hormone intoxicated, TEENAGE drivers.

Man, I hate to further this one, but...
22 years old (but still a teenager at heart)
Brand new 89 Mustang GT Convertable
Camping with buddies in Eastern Wa. (Mar-Don's Resort)
Going in to town, crossing O'Sullivan Dam...110MPH...top down...Dark
Sammy Hagar singing "I can't drive 55" cranked up
No Seatbelts!
Two lane road, guardrails on both sides, water beyond that on left, dropoff
on right
Sudden 35 MPH marked right hander on a 55 MPH road
Due to a dip that caused the car to become airborne, we only slowed
to about 85 before entry into the corner. I let off the brakes as I turned.
Dry pavement BTW.
When we passed the 90 degree spin, I did as Tom suggested, turn away from
the spin, to prevent rollover and continue around.
I ended up going backwards about 20 MPH, but I forgot one thing:
PUSH IN THE CLUTCH!
As a result, the rear wheels were skidding, and we were still drifting to
the
water side, even though I had turned around and was steering, looking
out the back of the car.  So the car continued into the guardrail, but the
damage was very minor, as we only touched with the bumper and
$100 taillight lens, going about 10 MPH.

We sat there a moment, my two friends faces white like ghosts.  I pushed
in the clutch cranked up the engine, and we drove back to a point we could
turn around in a slower manner.  Continued in to town.  My buddy bought
some new underwear at K-Mart.

I don't drive that way anymore.  I decided I wanted to live.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup
89 Mustang GT Conv. 35K mi.

P.S.  The sidewalls of the Goodyear Gatorbacks on the left side still have
a spot where the markings are worn off about 1" up from the tread surface.