Re: Most dangerous braking situation...(again)

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in Tom Mandera
<tsm1@domain.elided>'s head said:

>the rear wheel can and will come around on a
>m/c when it's locked up... IMO, the trick would be to release before
>that happens.. but if you didn't catch it immediately, the rear would be
>slightly off-center, and when you released, you'd get "whipped" by the
>return-to-center..

The idea is to steer and direct the path of the motorcycle with the rolling
(and braking) front wheel to keep the rear wheel behind you.  Of course,
this might be impossible on really slick surfaces (like ice).  If you
trying riding a motorcycle on ice... your an IDIOT!  Trust me... I tried it
and I was an idiot!  Despite the rider's best attempts otherwise, the
motorcycle will do everything it can to flip onto it's side.  This is
because of the way gyroscopic precession works on the rotating front tire.

Best regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |