Re: Most dangerous braking situation...(again)

"John A. Landry" wrote:

> Way back in the mid-80's I took a Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider safety

Me too.. but it was in 93 or 94..

> techniques on our own motorcycles.  In the limited confines of the parking
> lot, we practiced straight ahead braking from about 40 mph as quickly as
> possible, letting the rear wheel lock completely up.  The instructors would
> gauge performance by measuring the distance required to stop after passing
> through a timing gate.  Rear wheel lock up and slide on dry or wet pavement
> immediately straighten up and apply maximum braking.  This requirement to
> straighten upright just as the braking begins has to constantly be on a
> rider's mind.  When zipping around a blind corner at 70 mph, what would you
> do if you suddenly came upon an object in your path?

We did the same.. though this was the "beginner" course I attended with
my mother (who'd just acquired her FLH).. on the issued Honda 125s, we
were told to hit 30mph and then lock up the rear wheel and skid.. I, of
course, actually hit 30mph and slid all the way out of the parking lot
we were doing the course in and on into the next lot... (Hey, it wasn't
my tire) vs. the timid attempts from the others (mom included).  I had a
hard time *not* letting go of the rear brakes... the instructors were
adamant that you NEVER release on a rear-wheel skid on a motorcycle..
you always stand up, hold the rear brake, and ride the skid to a halt..

Still doesn't feel right.. but, like Joel's Jack-knife'd truck
explanation, I buy it... the rear wheel can and will come around on a
m/c when it's locked up... IMO, the trick would be to release before
that happens.. but if you didn't catch it immediately, the rear would be
slightly off-center, and when you released, you'd get "whipped" by the
return-to-center..