Working (if you want to call it that) over the holidays when everyone else
took time off gave me a chance to get caught up on reading back digests.  I
noticed some AMC engine swap questions that went unanswered so I'll give it
a shot.

The AMC V8s do have a different bell housing bolt pattern than the IH V8s.
I found it curious that Howard found no difference in the flywheel housing
part numbers for the trannys with the IH engines and the AMC engines.  In
'72 or so the AMC 258 was redone and the bell housing bolt pattern then
matched the AMC V8s (304, 360, 401).

I have put my '72 Scout II with the AMC 258 next to a '74 Scout with a 345
and the supports for the motor mounts were different.  I would expect that
the IHs that came with the 400s might have the same differences.

A while back I picked up a AMC 360 from a '73 Ambassador with plans to put
it in my Scout.  The project is currently on hold as I keep spending my
extra cash on grad school tuition and stuff from my daughter but I have done
as much as I could without spending any more money.  The motor mounts that
came with the 360 appear identical to those that are in the scout.  They
measure up the same and should bolt right to the frame of the Scout.  The
bell housing bolt pattern is the same; even the starter is the same.  The
360 is wider than the 258 but the engine assembly is over 2" shorter than
the 258.  Water outlet and accessory locations are also the same.  Should be
a bolt in swap with all factory parts.

From what I have seen and learned from the Jeep people.  AMC V8 for 258
conversions are simple and my 360 appears to confirm this.  AMC V8 for IH V8
swaps might be different although the T-18 bell housing for the 258 should
be able to be swapped for the T-18 bell housing for the IH engines.  Can
anyone confirm this?  I would recommend to anyone who is thinking of an AMC
V8 swap to go with the 360 because the 304 doesn't have a satisfactory power
making potential and the 401 is rare and expensive to acquire.  The 401 was
also rarely offered with a manual transmission and as a result it was not
standard procedure to have the crankshaft drilled for a pilot bushing.
Complete 360s with all accessories should be able to be had for under $300
in Southern California if you could find one and I'm sure that they would be
cheaper everywhere else.