Re: transfer case swapability

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, John A. Landry wrote:

> Of course, if you're a big burly man like Tom Mandera, you don't need to worry
> about a wussy floor jack like me.  You can simply bench press the xfer case
> out and back in while at the same time threading the mounting bolts in at the
> same time!

<grin>  Actually, once you bench press the 'case onto the input gear and
slide it forward, you don't have to hold it much.. just enough to align
the holes and slip a bolt or three through, then tighten.

The first time I performed this operation, I jacked my Scout up, and set
the tires down (31s) onto a set of spare rims.  This allowed enough room
to lower the 'case and then twist it sufficiently to drag it out from
under the rockers.

The second time, I didn't have the benefit of being at home, so I lay in
the dirt on the side of the street in Missoula, and fought the 'case in
and out (a few times.. since the replacement '20 didn't have the shifter
lever ground down to clear the T19, so I had to put the old one back
on).. it was a much tighter clearance without the extra rims.. though the
33s helped..

Then again, having a 4" suspension lift helps with ALL of the
under-chassis maintenance. :-)

-Tom "He-Man" Mandera, Helena MT