Re: transfer case swapability

Gunt0009@domain.elided wrote:

> Digesters
>
>        I have a 1980 scout with the dana 300 t-case.  I realized it has an oil
> leak, I wan't to repair this, but I don't want the scout out of service (it's
> the only vehicle I have)  Here's  my plan:  There is a boneyard not to far
> from here with a 77 scout with a dana 20 and a 727 transmission. I'd buy that
> transfer case and swap for the 300 untill I get the 300 fixed.  Would this
> bolt right up? or should I just keep filling the 300? Its getting real cold
> here and speed would be of the essence, how simple would this operation be?
> Or am I just missing an extremely simple solution because of my craving for
> excess hardware.  Any comments/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>
> 1980 turbo diesel scout II
> MPLS MN

Mike,
How bad is the leak, and where is it? You can reseal the cover on the bottom
without removing the T/C. If it's a really bad leak the T/C may be loose from the
transmission. Just tightening up the bolts will slow the leak considerably.
OTOH, It's not that hard to reseal a Dana 300. You should easily be able to pull,
replace the gaskets, and reinstall the transfer case in a weekend. Make sure you
break the companion yoke nuts loose before you remove the T/C from the Scout. It's
difficult to remove the nuts on the bench unless you have an impact wrench.
Time to get back to the playoffs...

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs